Located in the vibrant, international city of Miami, Florida International University is one of the largest public research universities in the U.S. Designed for adventurous and ambitious international students, the FIU Global First Year program prepares you for academic, social and professional success.
Florida International University offers more than 110 undergraduate degree programs. International business, hospitality, engineering and criminal justice are among FIU’s top fields of study.
- #95 Top Public Schools—U.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #2 International Business Undergraduate program —U.S. News & World Report, 2021
- 24 programs ranked in the Top 100 —U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- #1 in the nation for awarding degrees to Hispanic students
- 220,000+ alumni worldwide
- Top Tier Research University in the U.S. R1 —Carnegie Research
- Aquarius Reef Base, the only underwater research laboratory in the world
Get Involved & Get Outdoors
- 300+ student clubs, honor societies and interest groups to join
- 18 Division I sports teams including football, baseball, swimming and soccer
- State-of-the-art fitness facilities and student center
Miami: Global, Entrepreneurial, Vibrant
The most populated metro area in Florida, Miami is an international hub known for its community spirit, lively hospitality, food, beaches and Latin-American culture.
With sunny, warm weather year-round, Miami’s famous beaches and natural parks are popular with tourists, international business travelers and young professionals in the growing tech, international finance, healthcare, hospitality and tourism sectors.
With FIU set in the heart of city, Miami will be your campus, too.
- America’s 20 Coolest Cities —Forbes, 2017
- 1,100+ multinational companies are based in Miami including Marriott Hotels, Royal Caribbean International and American Airlines.
- Take in the famous Art Deco architecture along South Beach.
- Visit Everglades National Park, Biscayne Bay, 16 beaches or more than 800 area parks.
- Head to Little Havana for local Cuban food, salsa dancing and a day of Latin-American culture.
- Explore the Miami Design District and hundreds of art museums and galleries.
- 20 minutes to Miami International Airport, with 100+ airlines
As an international student enrolling at a select U.S. News Global Education school, you will have access to exclusive programs and services.
To make your transition as easy as possible, our enrollment counselors set you up for success with:
- Streamlined application process
- Assigned counselor
- Major/field of study guidance
- Visa interview help
- Prep webinars & checklists
- Help with required forms
- Airport welcome
- Student & parent orientation
- Cultural group outings
- Classes for your academic level
- English-language & ESL help
- Tutoring support
- Career Accelerator Program
- Internship assistance
- Job search help
Dietetics and Nutrition
Sustainability and the Environment
Health Service Administration
Logistics and Supply Chain Management Management
Management of Information Systems
Recreation and Sports Management
Digital Media Studies
Latin American ad Caribbean Studies
Dates & Costs
G1Y students may pursue any of the 140 undergraduate degree options offered. However, many degree programs have unique entry and progression requirements based on academic background and performance.
Have a question about a specific degree? Our admissions team would be happy to help.
|Global First Year
|Global First Year (3 Semesters)||Pre-Sessional English|
|TOEFL® Requirements||68+, no subscore below 14||60, no subscore
|41-59, no subscore
|IELTS™ Requirements||5.5+, no subscore below 5.0||5.0, no subscore below 4.5||4.0, no subscore below 3.5|
|Other Standardized Tests Requirements||None||None||None|