A top research university, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is located in western Massachusetts. First-rate engineering faculty, invaluable alumni connections and graduating as a marketable engineering candidate are just a few reasons to choose UMass Amherst.
Why UMass Amherst?
At UMass Amherst, we know the best way to predict the future is to invent it. Our elite Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (MS ECE) program is specifically designed for international students, ambitious professionals and aspiring academics.
- #40 Best Engineering Schools – U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- #40 Graduate Computer Engineering – U.S. News & World Report, 2020
- #50 Graduate Electrical Engineering – U.S. News & World Report, 2020
- #3 in National Science Foundation research grants for Massachusetts colleges, behind only MIT and Harvard
- 250,000+ alumni worldwide to network with
- 70+ countries represented on campus
- Alumni work at NASA, Amazon, Google, IBM, Huawei, General Electric and more
- 16 Fortune 500 companies are based in Massachusetts, including Raytheon, Biogen and Eversource
Two Degree Options, Infinite Possibilities
Option 1: Live Program MS
- 16-month master’s degree program designed for working engineers who want to earn a degree from a Top 100 U.S. university without putting their career on hold
- Evening classes are offered through a real-time, cutting-edge, interactive technology that allows students to engage with professors just as if they were in the United States
- Classes are hosted at global study centers in top cities in China and India, with support services provided in their native language
- Students have the option to fly to Amherst for graduation or a shortened summer semester
Option 2: Flexible 1 + 1 MS
- Our 1 + 1 master’s degree program is designed for working engineers and recent university graduates
- Attend Year 1 at top-ranked global universities in top cities in China and India. Classes are led by UMass faculty through a real-time, cutting-edge, interactive technology; evening classes offer flexibility while you continue to work
- Year 2 takes place on campus in Amherst, Massachusetts
Amherst: Small Town Feel, Big City Access
Located in the Northeast region of the United States, our sprawling campus is set in a small, charming town in beautiful western Massachusetts. Amherst is a quintessential New England town with a lively downtown center full of cafes, shops, galleries and restaurants.
Less than two hours from Boston and three hours from New York City, the campus provides easy access to two of the world’s leading cities for tech, research, finance and healthcare innovation.
Weather & Climate
In the fall and spring, you can expect moderate temperatures, while summers are warm and winters see snow.
In Western Massachusetts & Nearby Boston
Close to the Berkshire Mountains, the Amherst area is nature lover’s dream, with hundreds of state parks, lakes, ski areas and hiking trails to enjoy.
- Amherst and nearby Northampton are home to five universities; Massachusetts has 100+ colleges.
- Explore the Mohawk Trail, Mount Holyoke State Park or the Quabbin Reservoir.
- Attend an exhibit at the UMass Fine Arts Center or a concert at Tanglewood.
- Visit the Emily Dickinson Museum or the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Attend a Boston Red Sox baseball game or New England Patriots football game.
As an international student enrolling at a select U.S. News Global Education school, you will have access to exclusive programs and services.
To make your transition as easy as possible, our enrollment counselors set you up for success with:
- Streamlined application process
- Assigned counselor
- Major/field of study guidance
- Visa interview help
- Prep webinars & checklists
- Help with required forms
- Airport welcome
- Student & parent orientation
- Cultural group outings
- Classes for your academic level
- English-language & ESL help
- Tutoring support
- Career Accelerator Program
- Internship assistance
- Job search help
Technology is constantly evolving, improving upon existing tools and concepts, and growing in new directions. The global market demands skilled, forward-looking electrical and computer engineers who will find innovative solutions to emerging challenges.
TESOL is an acronym meaning Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Broadly, it refers to the academic, practical and theoretical background that enables one to be an English-language educator. Our program is flexible, local and is of the highest possible academic quality. This program also carries 9 undergraduate credits and is fully accredited by NEASC.
Dates & Costs
Field Degree Spring 2019
|Application Deadline||Program Start Date||Cost|
|August 12, 2019||Orientation: August 31, 2019 at Shanghai Jiao Tong University – Xuhui Campus|
First day of class: September 3, 2019 at Shanghai Jiao Tong University – Xuhui Campus
IELTS™: 6.5 – 9.0
TOEFL®: 80 – 120
Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field recommended, but not required.